[RE-wrenches] Upgrading old inverters to TL?

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Tue Mar 31 10:40:45 PDT 2015

Hi Wrenches,

We commonly upgrade old failed out-of-warranty grid tied inverters as part
of our O&M business. Anyway, we’ve been using standard transformer based
isolated inverters just like the good old days. However, as the industry
progresses it seems like transformer based inverters are going the way of
the dodo. Does anyone know of a code compliant way to install a
transformerless ungrounded inverter on an old PV array with USE-2 wire? The
problem is that the modules from just a few years ago all or mostly had
USE-2 and I can’t find a way to meet NEC 690.35(D)(3).

Best,

August

August Goers

Luminalt Energy Corporation