[RE-wrenches] Outback quad stack X240 breaker tripping

Kevin Pegg kpegg at energyalternatives.ca
Wed Mar 11 13:19:27 PDT 2015

Hello Wrenches,

Customer in remote location has a strange situation come up on an existing system installed (by others) 6 or so years go. Quad stack VFX3648.

Last night gen start was triggered by low voltage - a normal system operation.

Approx 1h into charge, they lost 1/2 the circuits in house - L2 de-energized. Caretaker went to check power system and noticed the X240 breakers tripped. Tried to reset but it tripped out right away. So he left it as is and called me in the morning.

Here's what I've been able to determine today:

- The x240 is installed to bridge L1 & L2 on the load side.
- with master inverter on, 3 slaves off, both L1 and L2 energized so suggests x240 is working.
- within 10 seconds of generator on and charging, x240 breaker trips (and makes L2 go dark).
- loads are minor, ~1,000 w of misc lights and such, isn't all loaded up on one leg.

Appreciate any thoughts to remedy. I'm not as familiar with this config as others.

Kevin Pegg
EA Energy Alternatives Ltd.
37471 Hwy 16 E
Telkwa, BC  V0J 2X2