[RE-wrenches] Aquion Energy Batteries.

Marco Mangelsdorf marco at pvthawaii.com
Mon Feb 16 09:02:10 PST 2015

Hey Kirpal,

I have one of their ~ 22 kWh stacks in my warehouse….looking for a good home.  It cost $12,000, including shipping, to get it from PA. to Hawaii.

On paper, it looks quite impressive; 3,000 cycles @ 100 percent DOD, which assumes that whatever inverter is used has the DC voltage range to allow for that kind of 100 percent cycling.

I did some rough calcs to compare this bugger to standard lead-acid (Trojan, Interstate, U.S. Battery, etc.) and the Sony Li-Fe-Po.  If you assume that you are going to need, say, 20 kWhs/day every day from your battery bank, what would be the cost to do so using these three options?   (If anyone is interested in the Sony spec sheet, let me know off-list.)

For the lead-acid, you would actually need 40 kWhs worth of storage to get 20 kWhs/day since those batteries are typically rated at only 50 percent DOD.  Whereas using either the Aquion ion hybrid or Sony Li-Fe-Po you would only need 20 kWhs worth since both are rated at 100 percent DOD.  (The Sony battery is rated at 5,000 cycles DOD.)

The numbers I’ve come up with:

·         Lead-acid with 40 kWhs = $6,000

·         Aquion with 22 kWhs = $12,00

·         Sony with 20 kWhs = $24,000

Conclusion of story, given today’s prices: pay less upfront to get a good, ole fashioned Trojan L16HC (or equivalent) and replace ‘em in five years or so or pay a lot more upfront and have a battery that will last a helluva lot longer.

marco