[RE-wrenches] Magnum System - Discharged Battery Bank

Dan Fink danbob88 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 10:14:43 PST 2014

Almost all modern charge controllers and inverters etc have a low voltage
threshold at about 9-10VDC.....below that they simply won't turn on, so
even if the sun is out the MPPT controller won't charge, for example. There
are different field-expedient solutions; but here's me jump-starting a
100-meter MET tower / 24vdc offgrid system with my truck, after lightning
tripped the main PV breaker 2 weeks before. About 5 minutes on one 12vdc
battery string, and the PV controller woke up to see 750 watts of sun and
all was well. The client was skeptical as I explained over the phone what I
was doing, but quite happy when all the expensive anemometers and web data
logger magically came back online.

Dan Fink
Buckville Energy
IREC Certified Instructor™ for:
~ PV Installation Professional
~ Small Wind Installer
NABCEP / IREC / ISPQ Accredited Continuing Education Providers™
970.672.4342