[RE-wrenches] Parallel Wire combining

boB at midnitesolar.com boB at midnitesolar.com
Tue Dec 2 16:18:33 PST 2014

I'm pretty sure that  Daniel Young's explanation of surface area
explains the discrepancy.

The surface area of a larger wire does not grow as fast as its cross
sectional area so
it does not cool as well.  It can carry more current but its surface and
temperature
rise is going to be higher if you simply put more amps through it
proportional
to the wire area.

But the wire table does not show multiple wires in parallel and/or the
distance
between them.  Or is there such a table ?  If the distance between them
are high
enough so that the heat can be dissipated, then you ~should~ be able to get
3 times the ampacity of all 3 wires in parallel ?  Shouldn't he ?

What exactly does the title of that column mean ?  AWG/KCMIL ?
AWG and KCMIL are different.  AWG goes higher as the wire gets smaller.
KCMIL (area) gets higher as the wire gets bigger.

boB