[RE-wrenches] Fwd: Aqueous Hybrid Ion batteries

Phil Undercuffler solarphil at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 11:00:07 PST 2014

Aquion has developed a pretty interesting product and they're continuing to
improve it -- I spoke with their engineers at SPI and they've recently
figured out some updates that give stiffer voltage profile and therefore
more effective energy.  Energy density isn't their forte, but temperature
and cycling apparently are, not to mention safety and nontoxic
construction.  Not bad for a box of salt water and carbon.  I also
appreciate that they give detailed spec sheets with multiple curves to help
figure out performance at different rates.  It is a battery that performs
best when handled low and slow.

Aquion's spec sheets and manuals are available on their website, you might
need to register to get access but this link hopefully should work.
http://info.aquionenergy.com/hs-fs/hub/147472/file-1917705156-pdf/1_Product_Documentation/AQ-SP-00018_A_Aquion_M100-L082_Product_Specification_Sheet.pdf

While with any transformer-based inverter there are hard limits to the
voltage window due to the fixed ratio, the Radian GS8048A and GS4048A have
extended adjustment windows to better operate with new technologies like
this -- we allow you to run the DC voltage all the way to the rails if you
need to (Charge anywhere between 44-64VDC, LBCO down to 36VDC).  When the
voltage gets below 40-some-odd-volts the waveform will definitely be
flat-topping, but it will work.  As new battery technologies come to market
that have different requirements than lead acid, you need more flexibility
from the power electronics.  We're just trying to give you more tools to
work with.

Hope this helps,

Philip Undercuffler

Director, Strategic Platforms

OutBack Power Technologies

360.618.4306 office  |  425.319.2821 mobile