[RE-wrenches] SPI 2014

David Brearley david.brearley at solarprofessional.com
Wed Oct 29 13:34:25 PDT 2014

Hi Daniel,

You should patent that magic box idea. Better yet, patent the J-box with an embedded addressable semiconductor switch: Permissive signal from the inverter = switch closed; no signal from the inverter = switch open. Bob's your uncle. Touch-safe PV modules without undue cost or complexity. (That was the magic box I was hoping for but did not see.)

I am also concerned about the cost impact of 690.12. On the one hand, we have all these great SunShot initiatives to drive down the cost of solar. On the other hand, we have these new Code requirements that are driving a cost back into the BOS. As a result, it sometimes feels like the one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing. (That's part of what makes life on the solarcoaster so exciting! ;-)

BTW: I ran into one of your customers (virtually)—the one with a 12 kW ground-mounted residential system in Yellow Springs, Ohio—on a coffee nerd forum. I forget how the PV system came up, but the guy clearly has good taste in espresso equipment and PV installers. Keep up the good work!

Best regards,

David Brearley
Senior Technical Editor, SolarPro magazine
david.brearley at solarprofessional.com
Direct: 541.261.6545

Check out this AMAZING music video tribute to SolarPro: http://bit.ly/1qfMCCh