[RE-wrenches] Interconnection with Generator

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Tue Oct 28 10:10:50 PDT 2014

The inverter to generator ratio is entirely the designer's call and
comes into play for large generators (for residential systems as
mentioned in earlier replies, it's a bad idea).

Interconnecting in spot networks in dense urban areas has a similar
issue in that the distribution system can't handle backfeed. In downtown
Boston a few years ago I believe that the max PV that could be
interconnected was something like 1/10 or 1/15 of the demonstrated
MINIMUM demand for that building over the previous year-- just to make
absolute sure that there wasn't a chance of backfeed. Other solutions
include things like reverse power relays such that if the PV system does
start backfeeding the system, the relay would trip the inverter offline.

Of course any time you're interconnecting on the load side, you of
course take responsibility for anything bad that happens with the
generator. This should lead to an extremely conservative ratio being
used and regular monitoring to verify that the PV never comes close to
backfeeding something it shouldn't. Also, any issues with power quality
(real or perceived) can complicate your project substantially, thinking
of William's recent issues with the UPS and Sunny Islands. I wonder if
this could complicate a generator warranty, too, unless you were somehow
able to get the manufacturer's blessing ahead of time.

Another comment I remember from an earlier Wrench conversation was that
inverter contributions on the load side of a generator won't
proportionally drop fuel consumption-- that is, if your generator's load
is 500kW and your PV is putting out 250kW, you're not going to have a
50% reduction in fuel use. So it takes some equipment-specific analysis
to figure out what exactly your customer's savings would be.

DKC