[RE-wrenches] Interconnection with Generator

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 09:58:49 PDT 2014

We run into this a lot in the Caribbean. Our general rule is that it
depends on the load. If it is a constant commercial load and the PV is
about half of the load, no issue. But for residential and where PV exceeds
the lowest load, we prefer to be on the utility side of the ATS or use a
contactor on the PV combiner held in by the utility power.

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Corey Shalanski <
cshalanski at joule-energy.com> wrote:

> Wrenches,
>
> We frequently encounter residences with backup generators. The question
> that arises: how should the PV system be interconnected?
>
> I have searched the archives and found some good information about this
> subject, but nothing definitive. I have fallen into the habit of broadly
> proclaiming that the PV system *must* be interconnected on the "utility"
> side of the transfer switch - in order to prevent backfeeding into the
> generator and thereby eliminate unintentional equipment damage. Is this
> concern justified? If so, should this be an absolute rule or would it
> depend on the generator make/model?
>
> Thanks for any insights.
>
> --
> Corey Shalanski
> Joule Energy
> New Orleans, LA

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette:
> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
> Check out or update participant bios:

Chris Mason
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™
Solar Design Engineer
Generac Generators Industrial technician

www.cometsolar.com <http://www.cometenergysystems.com>
264.235.5670
869.662.5670
Skype: netconcepts