[RE-wrenches] Diode Failure

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 16:38:33 PDT 2014

Corey,
A diode is a diode. Get an electronics technician to identify the correct
part and source it.

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 4:51 PM, Corey Shalanski <
cshalanski at joule-energy.com> wrote:

> Wrenches,
>
> Since my previous post (see below) we have recovered the faulty modules
> and are now looking to replace the diodes in order to make them
> functional again. I have had no success sourcing replacement diodes from
> the original module manufacturer, Mage Solar.
>
> Can anyone recommend a source for replacement diodes?
>
> --
> Corey Shalanski
> Joule Solar
> New Orleans, LA
>
>> On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 10:27 AM, <
> re-wrenches-request at lists.re-wrenches.org> wrote:
>

>> Message: 10
>> Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 09:03:09 -0500
>> From: Corey Shalanski <cshalanski at joule-energy.com>
>> To: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>> Subject: [RE-wrenches] Diode Failure
>>
>> Wrenches,
>>
>> We recently were contacted by a customer who reported a lightning strike
>> close to his house. His online monitoring revealed that 30 of 35
>> microinverters simultaneously stopped producing power. On initial visit to
>> the jobsite we measured Voc on many modules - either 12V or 24V instead of
>> rated 36V. On a second visit we discovered that bypass diodes - either 1
>> or
>> 2 corresponding to observed voltage loss - had failed on each of the
>> faulty
>> modules.
>>
>> My question is: Can anyone support the theory that a nearby lightning
>>  flash
>> can cause mass bypass diode failure?
>>
>> --
>> Corey Shalanski
>> Joule Energy
>> New Orleans, LA

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette:
> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
> Check out or update participant bios:

Chris Mason
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™
Solar Design Engineer
Generac Generators Industrial technician

www.cometsolar.com <http://www.cometenergysystems.com>
264.235.5670
869.662.5670
Skype: netconcepts