[RE-wrenches] Warranty replacements

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 05:34:54 PDT 2014

We are also in the generator business, as a Generac dealer. If you want to
get an idea of how a manufacturer should handle warranty, Generac's model
is worth a look. We get paid by Generac to perform warranty repairs,
regardless of whether we sold the unit or not. This allows Generac to sell
units through Lowes and Home Depot without those stores having a service
department.
Generac gives us a table of repair allowances that detail how much they
will pay us for the repairs. They also repay the parts costs. of course.
A Generac dealer is required to perform warranty repairs as part of the
dealer agreement. The customer is always covered by a dealer.
I have found Generac willing to replace parts and service problems even
long after the warranty, especially on commercial units.

On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 8:10 AM, Jason Szumlanski <jason at szumlanski.com>
wrote:

> As our industry matures, we need to figure this out, and the best way, in
> my opinion, is to take cues from other industries. The main issue is
> unreasonably long and over-promising warranties. As manufacturers race to
> find their footing, there tends to be an easy way to compete by just
> lengthening warranties. If you can't compete on cost or technology, just
> offer a better/longer warranty. That is ultimately not good for
> manufacturers or dealers, as consumers are disappointed when products fail
> "prematurely." Reasonable warranties with assurances of excellent initial
> quality are critical, especially as the industry is still budding. However,
> the race for the longest warranty is a losing battle. I understand why it
> is important in the beginning, but we need to return to reality, setting
> consumers (and financiers) up for realistic expectations of O&M costs.
>
> Look at the HVAC industry, which really matured here in Florida in the
> 80's. A/C service is a thriving competitive industry, and consumers know
> what to expect. You can get a service agreement or a la carte service, and
> just about everyone charges a diagnostic fee for work - even warranty work.
> It has just come to be expected that there WILL be maintenance costs if you
> want an HVAC system that is long lasting (or at least that is what the
> service companies have convinced us). The plumbing industry has many
> parallels. I just replaced my 32 year old Ruud water heater. Do I think my
> shiny new Rheem solar tank will last anywhere near that long? No chance. I
> expect service, and ultimately replacement costs.
>
> Realistically, we can't expect manufacturers to care that we are 1, 10, or
> 100 miles from the end consumer. If a consumer lives two hours from the
> dealer and decides to make a purchase (of anything), they shouldn't
> realistically expect a dealer to service their system for the same price as
> a customer on their own block. Proximity certainly isn't in the control of
> the manufacturer. At a certain point we need to pass the costs on to
> consumers and set expectations realistically. That's our job and our
> responsibility.
>
> I'm not a solar historian by any means, but having been part of the solar
> thermal industry for the last 5 years, I have my suspicions that the PV
> warranty race was borne out of the solar water heating industry. If I'm not
> mistaken my 1999 Astropower modules had a 10 year warranty. Now 25 years is
> the de factor minimum standard. In my neck of the woods (solar pool heating
> heaven) we went through the same life cycle, and now manufacturers are
> stuck with offering ridiculously generous warranties for systems that see
> millions of gallons of water passing through them every year.
>
> I'd love to have a thriving and profitable service department, but until
> consumer expectations are brought back to reality, its not fun work.
>
> Jason Szumlanski

> [...]

Chris Mason
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™
Solar Design Engineer
Generac Generators Industrial technician

www.cometsolar.com <http://www.cometenergysystems.com>
264.235.5670
869.662.5670
Skype: netconcepts