[RE-wrenches] Warranty replacements

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Thu Oct 16 12:29:30 PDT 2014

Hi Rebecca,

Good topic.

As we build up our repertoire of installed systems we’re finding exactly
what you describe below – more and more product failures, particularly with
inverters. We have been very cautious to select products that we think have
the highest chance of being reliable. Monitoring has been our biggest
warranty issue to date followed by microinverter failures. I’m *really*
worried about potentially selecting equipment by a manufacturer which might
go out of business and won’t be around to support us. Luckily that hasn’t
happened yet.

In our market (SF Bay Area) almost everyone offers 10 year installation
warranties or longer which include repair and replacement of equipment at
no cost to the Owner. So, we have to bake some O&M projected expense into
our pricing. Putting together a process for following up with manufacturers
to obtain their service reimbursement money is important. I’ve also found
that some manufacturers will pay extra money if their equipment has caused
us an exceptional hassle. It just takes a lot of negotiating and diligence
to get the money from them! Our older systems are no longer in warranty so
now we have to broach the subject of charging for service work. As others
have mentioned, I’ve found that people are okay with paying for service
work as long as the rates (typically T&M) are discussed up front and
expectations are clear.

Just like Jason mentioned, staffing and coordinating for service work is
not easy. Larger companies have dedicated service teams. Our company has
enough service work at this point to keep two people busy for about half of
their week each. It is always a challenge to keep all the work scheduled
and moving forward but we’re getting better as we do more of it.

Not easy!

Best,

August

Luminalt