[RE-wrenches] Quantifying power quality

Kevin Pegg kpegg at energyalternatives.ca
Mon Oct 13 10:08:34 PDT 2014

Something we have done in similar situations is wire in a small, dedicated 48V inverter to run the sensitive loads. Always in invert mode never charging so gen power never touches it. It's way more efficient as well than having an inverter charging an UPS battery. It could of course also be a dedicated larger inverter if the loads demanded.

At our off-grid shop we have a dedicated Exeltech inverter that runs servers, phones, alarm, cameras, etc. Works very well.

In remote sites we typically power all the comms up by dedicated system like this. Gives us an opportunity to diagnose and or resolve remotely should the main power be offline for any reason.

Kevin