[RE-wrenches] TL inverter with long DC Feeder

Benn Kilburn benn at skyfireenergy.com
Mon Oct 6 11:56:20 PDT 2014

William,
No suggestions for what might work, but how would you be sure that the
gardener (or other) would not attempt to open the fuseholders under load?
Perhaps the box could have a padlock on it and the key could be located at
the inverters where they could be shutdown prior to opening the
fuseholders.  Of course, directions labeled at both locations.

Benn

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 12:40 PM, William Miller <william at millersolar.com>
wrote:

> Wrenches:
>

> We are getting up to speed on using transformer-less inverters.  I have
> advocated long for the additional safety offered by these inverters but I
> am realizing the trade-offs with the new technology:  The implementation
> gets more complicated with the requirement for PV wire, OCPD and
> disconnecting means for plus and minus and plus providing  Arc Flash rated
> equipment.
>

> I am currently designing a system that will locate the PV about 400 feet
> from the residence.  The system will utilize 2 Solectria 5200 watt
> inverters at the residence.  I would like to provide disconnecting means
> for the 4 strings at the array, in case of any needed service or
> excavating.  Preferably I’d like the disconnecting means to be deployable
> by a lay person (i.e. the gardener).
>

> Finding an 8 pole, arc flash, 600 VDC rated disconnect is not easy.  I
> could install an Outback 8 circuit combiner with 8 touch-safe fuse
> holders.  The new combiners have had dead-fronts for a while now.  The
> gardener needs only to have a Philips screw driver to open this cover.  Any
> better ideas out there?
>

> Thanks,
>

> William
>

> [image: Gradient Cap_mini]
> Lic 773985
> millersolar.com <http://www.millersolar.com/>
> 805-438-5600

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette:
> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
> Check out or update participant bios:

*Benn Kilburn *
CSA Certified Solar Photovoltaic Systems Electrician, SkyFire Energy Inc
6706 – 82 Ave NW | Edmonton, AB | T6B 0E7
P: 780-474-8992 | F: 888-405-5843 | www.skyfireenergy.com
[image: email] <benn at skyfireenergy.com> [image: facebook]
<https://www.facebook.com/SkyFireEnergy> [image: twitter]
<https://twitter.com/SkyFireEnergy> [image: linkedin]