[RE-wrenches] TL inverter with long DC Feeder

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Mon Oct 6 11:40:02 PDT 2014

Wrenches:

We are getting up to speed on using transformer-less inverters.  I have
advocated long for the additional safety offered by these inverters but I am
realizing the trade-offs with the new technology:  The implementation gets
more complicated with the requirement for PV wire, OCPD and disconnecting
means for plus and minus and plus providing  Arc Flash rated equipment.

I am currently designing a system that will locate the PV about 400 feet
from the residence.  The system will utilize 2 Solectria 5200 watt inverters
at the residence.  I would like to provide disconnecting means for the 4
strings at the array, in case of any needed service or excavating.
Preferably I'd like the disconnecting means to be deployable by a lay person
(i.e. the gardener).

Finding an 8 pole, arc flash, 600 VDC rated disconnect is not easy.  I could
install an Outback 8 circuit combiner with 8 touch-safe fuse holders.  The
new combiners have had dead-fronts for a while now.  The gardener needs only
to have a Philips screw driver to open this cover.  Any better ideas out
there?

Thanks,

William

Gradient Cap_mini