[RE-wrenches] Metering

Nick Soleil nsoleil at enphaseenergy.com
Tue Sep 30 09:20:34 PDT 2014

Hello esteemed wrenches,

I want to respond to Bill's questions about monitoring Enphase systems.
The email alerts are the primary method for alerting homeowners to issues
with their site, but we have also developed tools for managing fleets of
systems within Enlighten.  As an installer, when you first log into
Enlighten Manager you will be brought to your Installer Dashboard page.
The Installer Dashboard can be configured with various widgets, including a
Maintenance Alerts widget which will provide you with a  list of systems
that are experiencing Production Issues or other reporting issues.  This
prevent you from having to select each system individually.  Also, the
Systems page can be used to view daily, weekly, monthly, or lifetime energy
production of every system you've installed.

The email alerts can be configured to alert you and/or the homeowner to
production issues, but can also be configured to send alerts based upon
monthly production thresholds that you set.  If a system produces less than
the estimated production, an email will be sent to the homeowner and/or the
installer.  This is nice because the alerts occurs without the homeowner
monitoring their electric bill and checking for blinking lights.

I also want to echo some of the points that August made, particularly with
regard to installing a dedicated receptacle for the monitor. My experience,
like August's,  is that locating the Envoy on a dedicated receptacle that
is wired off the same load center/ panel board as the microinverters will
lead to reliable communications.

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 7:53 AM, August Goers <august at luminalt.com> wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>

> You have a good point about the burden of monitoring and how to keep up
> with it. We have hundreds of monitored sites, some Enphase and some others,
> and it is impossible to really check them thoroughly. However, most
> monitoring sites have some basic warning capabilities which I find useful.
> For example, Enphase will send us and the client an email if their system
> stops producing power or if there is another type of inverter error. It
> won’t catch minor issues but it does catch the major issues. SunPower has a
> dashboard we log into each morning to catch any major problems – especially
> “inverter down” errors. I’m hoping SunPower will implement an email warning
> system as well.
>

> The main problem I see with installing microinverters without the
> proprietary monitoring device (Envoy for Enphase, CDD for ABB, etc) is that
> there is no easy way for the client to know if all their micros are working
> – there is no green light or red light to check.
>

> Here in the Bay Area we’re finding more and more competitors selling
> leases and production guarantees. I imagine that the larger of these
> companies have some sort of automated monitoring system to check production
> but I don’t know for certain. With our SunPower leases, SunPower sends us a
> monthly email with production updates versus the simulated estimate based
> on our shade and site conditions. This is a really quick way to see how our
> fleet is doing.
>

> To Ray Walters’ point about powerline communication with Enphase, we’ve
> had very reliable monitoring with our Envoys once we started installing a
> dedicated receptacle for the Envoy at the same load center where we
> installed our microinverter breakers. I can’t think of a single instance
> where communication hasn’t been reliable.
>

> We also don’t sell monitoring to clients who show little interest in it.
> They can check their string inverter on a regular basis or keep their eyes
> on their bills and it does make everyone’s life a little easier.
>

> Anyway, there is no doubt that monitoring adds a lot of overhead to our
> business and we are trying to figure out better ways to setup expectations
> with clients. As I’ve posted in the past, we end up dealing with a lot of
> IT issues for homeowners.
>

> Best,
>

> August
>

> Luminalt

Cordially,

*Nick Soleil*

*Field Applications Engineer*

*Enphase Energy*

Mobile: (707) 321-2937

*The Enphase System** | *Empowering You in 2014
<http://www.enphase.com/?utm_source=emailsignature&utm_medium=release&utm_campaign=Jan14>

 1420 North McDowell

Petaluma, CA 94954

www.enphase.com <http://www.enphaseenergy.com/>

P: (707) 763-4784 x7267

F: (707) 763-0784

E: nsoleil at enphaseenergy.com

NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer #03262011-300

California C10 Licensed Electrician #986315

Texas Master Electrician #284451

<nsoleil at enphaseenergy.com>

“Don’t get me wrong: I love nuclear energy! It’s just that I prefer fusion
to fission. And it just so happens that there’s an enormous fusion reactor
safely banked a few million miles from us. It delivers more than we could
ever use in just about 8 minutes. And it’s wireless!”

- William McDonough

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not review, use, copy, disclose or distribute this message. If you received this message in error, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.