[RE-wrenches] Metering

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Tue Sep 30 07:53:07 PDT 2014

Hi Bill,

You have a good point about the burden of monitoring and how to keep up
with it. We have hundreds of monitored sites, some Enphase and some others,
and it is impossible to really check them thoroughly. However, most
monitoring sites have some basic warning capabilities which I find useful.
For example, Enphase will send us and the client an email if their system
stops producing power or if there is another type of inverter error. It
won’t catch minor issues but it does catch the major issues. SunPower has a
dashboard we log into each morning to catch any major problems – especially
“inverter down” errors. I’m hoping SunPower will implement an email warning
system as well.

The main problem I see with installing microinverters without the
proprietary monitoring device (Envoy for Enphase, CDD for ABB, etc) is that
there is no easy way for the client to know if all their micros are working
– there is no green light or red light to check.

Here in the Bay Area we’re finding more and more competitors selling leases
and production guarantees. I imagine that the larger of these companies
have some sort of automated monitoring system to check production but I
don’t know for certain. With our SunPower leases, SunPower sends us a
monthly email with production updates versus the simulated estimate based
on our shade and site conditions. This is a really quick way to see how our
fleet is doing.

To Ray Walters’ point about powerline communication with Enphase, we’ve had
very reliable monitoring with our Envoys once we started installing a
dedicated receptacle for the Envoy at the same load center where we
installed our microinverter breakers. I can’t think of a single instance
where communication hasn’t been reliable.

We also don’t sell monitoring to clients who show little interest in it.
They can check their string inverter on a regular basis or keep their eyes
on their bills and it does make everyone’s life a little easier.

Anyway, there is no doubt that monitoring adds a lot of overhead to our
business and we are trying to figure out better ways to setup expectations
with clients. As I’ve posted in the past, we end up dealing with a lot of
IT issues for homeowners.

Best,

August

Luminalt