[RE-wrenches] QO Breakers ok for Back feeding?

William Korthof wkorthof at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 16:18:28 PDT 2014

As I understand it, "backfed" referred to the source of energization. Current flow alternates both ways at line frequency regardless of the direction of power flow. The reason for marking "line" and "load" is because the source of energization remains powered when the device is turned off. In the case of fused disconnect switches, connecting a source to the load side results in the fuses being energized at all times.
With circuit breakers, the intent of line/load distinction was so that source breakers require more than simply being pulled on before they come. Unfastening a screw that secures the backfed breaker for example...
It doesn't make sense to lump grid interactive solar with sources of energization (generators, grid power...) because we have special rules for interactive solar---UL1741...

/wk