[RE-wrenches] LiFePo4

William Korthof wkorthof at sustainsp.com
Mon Sep 15 21:09:04 PDT 2014

One of the projects I've been working on is a secondary LiIon battery pack
solution using refurbished EV battery modules originally build by AC
Propulsion and now needing a home.

100Ah or 200Ah x 48 volt nominal. The batteries were originally built for
EV use with relatively high performance, so even as they age, they still
work easily at the power levels of the solar UPS (and stand-alone) systems
I've installed over the years. They have cell level monitoring and
equalization, cell level protection features, and have been fairly
extensively tested with success for the EV application. It looks like a
full pack with BMS will cost around $1600 for 100ah x 48vdc, and $2600 for
200ah... basically price-comparable to a new sealed PbA pack of decent
quality.

They work great in our mobile solar trailers, though the price level is
higher than I what I'd like to see. I'm also very cautious about LiIion
battery performance in extreme situations.
After we have some more miles with the test units, we'll field some with
some of our solar/UPS homes, and then hopefully soon after sell packs
direct.

As lithium battery production ramps up, I expect to see expansion in the
non-PbA options.

--
<http://www.sustainsp.com/images/SSP_Logo_RGB_email.jpg>William Korthof
800.524.2970