[RE-wrenches] Cooler Modules

Mac Lewis maclewis1 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 21:23:05 PDT 2014

Mark,
This question depends on what where you draw your system boundary.  If you
are analyzing a module in its entirety, the module that is converting
irradiance energy into electrical current will be cooler overall (less
thermal energy) because less of that irradiance energy is turning into
thermal energy.  However, if you look at individual cells, the module that
is conducting current can transfer some of that electrical energy into
thermal energy in bad cells, which will make localized heating.
Effectively, the modules producing useful work outside of your boundary
won't be be converting all of that radiation energy into thermal energy
inside of your boundary.

Hence, open circuit module warmer than conducting module.

This assumes that the only energy entering the system is from radiation,
and that energy can leave the system as electrical energy.

I like the question