[RE-wrenches] High specific gravity

Steve Higgins steve at surrette.com
Fri Aug 15 09:14:51 PDT 2014

Hey guys, just thought that I'd chime in here if you don't mind.

High SG's are a result of a few things...

1. The most common... Adding acid or electrolyte
2. Overcharging, or too long of
3. Overheating.. During the charge cycle if you have overheating cells and you get over 120 F ballpark (most batts these are different ceilings).  During this high temp period the active material on the plates starts to dissolve into the electrolyte and will increase the acid content in the battery.
4. Problematic Cells.  If you have cells that are dead, the good cells can sometimes "absorb" the extra voltage from the charge process.   This will cause a rise in SG's.  A couple weeks at normal charge voltages and good cells the SG's should fall..  If they don't then the problem is either #1, or #3.

Steve Higgins
Technical Services Manager
M: +1.206.790.5840
F: +1.902.597.8447