[RE-wrenches] High specific gravity

Howie Michaelson howie at suncatchervt.com
Tue Aug 12 20:25:10 PDT 2014

Mac,

In my experience, cells that read 1.0 rarely if ever recover to a usable
state.  I've also seen abnormally high SG readdings (1.31+) in battery
banks that are over charged, which may be the case here.  You stated the
set points for absorb and equalize, but was this just for the VFX or for
the Charge Controllers (solar and wind) as well.  I've also seen very high
SG readings in cells near the dead cells (1.0), which I have interpreted
as being caused by the dead cells not passing the charge very well, but I
don't really understand the physics of the phenomenon.  If after another
equalize cycle, the dead cells don't change, you could try taking them out
and bench charge those batteries individually.  Depending on the age of
the batteries, particularly since they are Interstates, I would tend to
not spin my wheels too much trying to recover them, and instead counsel a
full bank replacement (not usually a happy conversation). I usually argue
that replacement is money better spent.

Good Luck,
Howie
--
Howie Michaelson
NABCEP Certified PV Installation Professional™

Catamount Solar, LLC
Renewable Energy Systems Sales and Service
VT Solar Electric & Hot Water Incentive Partner
http://www.CatamountSolar.com
802-272-0004