[RE-wrenches] Conflict between solar PV and Zigbee-based home automation??

boB at midnitesolar.com boB at midnitesolar.com
Mon Jul 28 22:10:01 PDT 2014

I am guessing that this contractor's bad experience with this is from
the RF noise (EMI) that the inverters or charge controllers make.
This interference can mess up Zigbee and other communications means for
sure.  I'm not positive, but Zigbee may be more prone to
EMI interference than some other communications methods but you have to
work with what you got I guess.
The interference can usually be reduced by adding some filtering to the
PV system as well as wiring in conduit (etc.) but if it really
turns out to be a problem at a home, then another EMI/RFI mitigating
contractor may be required to help.

Another thing that can help is to just make sure the Zigbee or whatever
wins out over the interference by using directional
antennas, cranking up the transmit power (if legal), etc.

Having said that, I don't think that the problem this contractor talks
about is always a problem.  Sometimes you
get lucky and sometimes you are unlucky in these installations. It's not
the DC at least, it's the AC (RF) that is
riding on the DC that is the problem and comes from the equipment that
the PV is hooked up to.

boB