[RE-wrenches] GT with batteries in Calif.

toddcory at finestplanet.com toddcory at finestplanet.com
Wed Jul 2 17:28:01 PDT 2014

" In any case, a 10 kW battery system, will probably exceed most grid connected battery systems, and the whole issue is moot. "

shouldnt battery capacity be in kWh?

todd

On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 5:00pm, "Christopher Warfel" <cwarfel at entech-engineering.com> said:

I am not familiar with PGE's time of use rates for residential. I have to assume that they do have TOU built into their metering. Buying at any time is predicated by the load of the facility, including battery load, so this is probably their concern. Given the costs of batteries it seems uneconomical to buy batteries just to store energy to sell on peak, but I don't have your peak vs off peak tariff.  We have been putting in two meters on our systems, but to make it work properly for determining actual PV generation we had to put a detent in the meter on the back up panel circuit. Now the only way I think that this can be done by utility type meters is to buy a programmable meter and have it record input and output similar to how the utility meter operates.
If they will accept a DAS system (and some are now compliant with utility accuracy requirements, place a product such as EGauge on the battery back up circuit. If you are exporting at a time with n o or little solar input, then they know you are using your batteries to generate revenues. This could required a insolation meter, and all of this will get expensive and complicated quickly. It seems that PV can be used for grid support by exporting and PGE or whomever should encourage on peak selling back to them. They could set a price for exported power below tariff, but still acceptable to the owner, and they would find that the solar exported power on peak is below their marginal cost for electricity.
I know I have complicated this, but this is really what an industry group, the commission and the utility should work out.  In any case, a 10 kW battery system, will probably exceed most grid connected battery systems, and the whole issue is moot.

Sent from Finest Planet WebMail.