[RE-wrenches] Combining Multiple Inverters

Glenn Burt glenn.burt at glbcc.com
Mon Jun 30 13:02:31 PDT 2014

What am I missing here?

In the 2014 NEC, 705.21 seems to indicate that every inverter needs to have its own AC disconnect. Most inverters only have integrated DC disconnects (SMA, Power One, Fronius) as I recall. Or has this been interpreted to only apply to the DC side of the system?

Since NYS is still on the 2008 NEC, and the handbook has a note in 690.64B)1:

The outputs of utility-interactive inverters may not be connected directly in parallel without first being connected to the required dedicated circuit breaker or fusible disconnecting means.

Further, I believe it can be interpreted that each inverter source circuit connection “shall be made at a dedicated circuit breaker or fusible disconnecting means” as directly quoted from 690.64(B)1.

I see a dedicated OCPD being required for each inverter output, unless the manufacturer has installation instructions which have been approved by UL indicating that more than one can be paralleled and retain its listing (ala microinverters).

-Glenn