[RE-wrenches] Modified sine deterioration

Exeltech exeltech at yahoo.com
Tue May 20 11:04:38 PDT 2014

Hello Jason,

Aside from a peek at the mod-square inverter waveform now and then (with an oscilloscope) .. there's nothing more you can do in terms of "troubleshooting".  Your interval could be a year or more, especially when the product is new.  In terms of "preventive" .. install inverters in a clean, dry, and as "room temperature" a location as possible.  This will help extend the life of ALL of the components.

High quality electrolytic capacitors, used within their specifications in well-designed circuits, will wear out very slowly - as in many decades.  Drake's mention below is a perfect example.  He's working with a 20-year old unit, and parts have improved considerably in 20 years.  The "electrolytic capacitors will always die early" mantra is an urban legend that just won't die.  Cheap low-quality parts will die young.  So will any other parts used outside of their specifications.  Will "film" capacitors outlive "electrolytic" capacitors?  Yes.  Will it matter to you if the electrolytic-based product lives only 40-70 years compared to a "film capacitor" version wearing out in [say] 70 or 80 years?  High quality versions of either part, properly designed into a circuit and used within their respective specifications, will serve the purpose well.

Any changes you'll observe in the waveform due to capacitor "wear-out" will tend to be very gradual, as in years and years.  Take a good photo of the 'scope screen, print it, and keep it on file as a before/after reference.  Check the wave shape and "amplitude" (voltage) under identical conditions each time.  A simple 100-watt incandescent lamp will help.  Turn off all loads except the lamp.  Plug in the lamp, attach your 'scope, and take a picture.  Fact is, you should do this step for ALL of your installations when new.  Keep the printed image with your customer's records.  Make a digital backup copy for future use.  Ink fades.  Refer back to it as needed.

While this won't reveal everything that could possibly go wrong .. it's a quick check that may provide some indication of pending trouble.

Dan