[RE-wrenches] Solar World shattered module

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Mon Apr 21 16:42:09 PDT 2014

About 5 years ago we had a SunPower module shatter for no apparent reason a
couple of weeks after we completed the installation. No one knows the exact
cause, but SunPower did end up RMAing the module and sent an engineer out
to check out our array (which was flush mount rooftop). We noticed that the
frames on the modules were out of square and my educated guess was that
there was some strain on the module frame caused by our installers as they
“tweaked” the modules to make the array square. We also noticed the module
glass on some of the adjacent modules was slightly cupped (concave). I
don’t know if that was a manufacturing issue or what the cause of the
cupping was. We haven’t had any problems since.

I suppose extreme hot/cold variations such as pouring warm water on a cold
module or spraying a hot module with cold water could cause it to shatter
but don’t have any direct experience with that.

Best,

August