[RE-wrenches] Flashing vs Sealant... again (is sealant code defensible?)

Jason Szumlanski jason at fafcosolar.com
Sat Apr 19 14:42:25 PDT 2014

There should really be a distinction made between "penetration" and
"attachment."

A lag screw driven into a pilot hole with sealant pulling down a piece of
hardware specifically designed to sandwich the roof material is very
different than a loose pipe sticking up out of a hole in the roof. Sealing
lag screw attachment points is NOT analogous to sealing "penetrations" in a
general sense in my opinion. The attachment method and complete assembly is
part of the overall success in waterproofing an attachment point. For
example, I would not install a tall stand-off assembly using a sealant-only
method, because the leverage is too high and the base could work through
the shingle (a pliable surface) over time. Obviously pipes that are not
attached to the roof surface may move independently from the roof assembly,
and cannot be sealed with sealant along. Attachment points with pressures
that are generally normal (perpendicular) to the roof surface can be
successfully made with sealants.

One application where this has been proven out is solar pool heating, where
many of the attachment points for strapping have essentially no shear
pressures. ​It is completely cost prohibitive to attach a solar pool
heating system using metal flashings. Adding $1,000 to a $3,000
installation is not going to happen. The industry has proven that
sealant-based attachments, if done properly and with care, are a very
successful roof fastening method. The company I work for has made millions
of roof​ penetrations since 1974. If 40 years of success with sealant based
*attachments* isn't proof, I don't know what is!

I would like to see L-feet with larger bases that are round in shape for PV
installations without flashings. The closest I have seen is the Sunmodo
base plate, which is intended for use with a flashing and an L-Foot, of
course. Attached is a concept drawing that I think would work great.

[image: Inline image 1]

Jason Szumlanski

​FAFCO Solar​