[RE-wrenches] Flashing vs Sealant... again

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed Apr 16 15:54:21 PDT 2014

We use a stainless fender washer between the lag and L foot both to
prevent a galvanic reaction between the aluminum and zinc plating, and
to seal over the slot in the L foot.  It also increases the strength to
prevent the lag from tearing through the L foot in a heavy wind load.
When we tighten it down, we always make sure that we have sealant coming
out on all sides of the L foot, and the washer.  We've also used lags
with rubber sealing washers too.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,