[RE-wrenches] Flashing vs Sealant... again

William Korthof wkorthof at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 09:49:43 PDT 2014

Over the years (13 so far) I've installed probably 50-100 systems non-flashed on comp shingle, and about ten times that number flashed. The early ones were mostly non-flashed, the later ones nearly all flashed. The switch was around 2005, as I recall. The presence or lack of flashing has had little or nothing to do with the risk of a leak, in my experience. I would readily service every one of our customers in the event of a workmanship issue.
We migrated to flashings for a number of reasons, but I can't say that leak-prevention was one of them. Perception of quality, conventions in the roofing trade, and perception of serviceability were factors. The cost penalty of going to flashings was manageable and justified for us at the time because margins were comfortable and increasing, and it seemed like more durable workmanship (our warranties also increased from 5 to 10 years). I could see revisiting the practice---cost needs to be a consideration if we want to continue seeing PV proliferation.

In terms of preserving roof integrity and preventing leaks, unsealed/missed pilot holes, faulty roof construction, and faulty products (attempting to use Henry's wet patch as a permanent seal) seem like the real factors, not flashings. On flat roofs, issues with drains clogging and ponding are the issues I've seen.

Although I would count among the installers to use flashing, I accept the arguments from the proponents of no-flashing installation.

/wk

William Korthof
714.875.3576
Sustainable Solutions