[RE-wrenches] Setbacks for fire responder protection

Dan Fink danbob88 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 06:40:13 PDT 2014

Hello WIlliam;

I have always wondered about  gable eaves as access pathways too, but
haven't said anything so as not attract attention from AHJs ;-) I don't
have a problem with walking on gable eaves if they are sturdy enough, and
at least you'd know there's no fire directly underneath you.

Here in Colorado both the city of Golden and city of Boulder Fire Marshals
have taken different but very proactive stances in granting exceptions to
the setbacks. In Boulder it was estimated that over 60% of existing
installations did not comply with IFC2012 setback rules. If anyone would
like a copy of Boulder's exceptions / compromise document and graphics of
examples contact me off list and I'll send it.  Golden's approach was
Alternate Materials and Methods (which Boulder couldn't pass) that allows a
PV installer to demonstrate alternate paths of access.

As for venting the other side of the roof, I believe the logic is that the
vent location depends greatly on wind direction and the layout of the
building internally. Venting the wrong side on a windy day could be
ineffectual.

Many fire departments are training in and moving towards techniques other
than vertical ventilation (because it is so dangerous), but there will
always a need for some roof access.

Cheers for Boulder Fire Marshal Dave Lowrey for being realistic and
flexible.

Dan Fink,
Executive Director;
Otherpower
Buckville Energy Consulting
Buckville Publications LLC
NABCEP / IREC accredited Continuing Education Providers
970.672.4342