[RE-wrenches] 600 v pv lead separation

william at millersolar.com william at millersolar.com
Wed Apr 9 12:54:00 PDT 2014

Brian:

You and I were right on-target with our evaluation.  Below is the message I
received from Morningstar:

The partition was added to satisfy UL/ETL requirements to prevent
co-mingling of high voltage(600V) input wires and low voltage battery and
communication wiring.   If the insulation on your battery and/or
communication cabling is rated for 600V, co-mingling shouldn't be an issue.
However, if the insulations is not rated for high voltage, we would suggest
leaving the divider intact.

I applaud Moringstar for backing down on their original instructions and
first email reply.  It is unfortunate that they were not more precise in
their original instructions-some installers may have wasted time and money
on conduit and partitions.

I don't know if I could find wire not rated for 600 volts, so this is really
a non-issue.

William Miller

Lic 773985

millersolar.com