[RE-wrenches] shared neutral critical load panel

Mac Lewis maclewis1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 05:35:37 PDT 2014

Hi William,

These are 120/240 systems.  These are multi-wire branch circuits, but the
load pairings are uncommon.  For example, on the last hybrid we did, we
found that a heat tape circuit and garage lights shared a neutral.  The
garage lights were on the opposite side of the home as the heat tape
circuit.  They must have saved 30' of #10 wire by sharing this neutral.  We
wanted the garage lights on the critical load panel but not the heat tape
circuit.  We ended up keeping the garage lights out of the critical load
panel.  I think that there is no code-compliant way to do this (besides
rewiring) because of the shared raceway requirement.

Thanks