[RE-wrenches] Capacitive Discharge Test Results

Exeltech exeltech at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 28 16:41:08 PDT 2014

Corey,

I'm not pro nor con one way other another on the use of the 1M resistor Chris mentioned in the system you described.

However .. if you DO end up following his suggestion .. there are precautions you'll need to observe:

1. Resistors have a maximum voltage rating.  Make sure the resistor you use is rated at least 2 kV to prevent arc-over or similar.  I'd recommend 5 kV.

2. Though 1 milliamp is a small amount of current, 1000V x 1 mA = 1W.  Use a resistor rated at least 2W.  I'd recommend a 5W.

There's more info we could exchange.  This is a start.

I wish we had a way to hold a big conference call to discuss the issues you're experiencing, along with several related items, including the somewhat rhetorical question Erika posed.

To her query .. unless the PV system is "bipolar" by design, the array [typically] can NOT be grounded on either leg when used with a transformerless inverter.

At a minimum, to ground one leg would defeat the ground-fault detection circuitry in the inverter and hopefully cause it not to operate.  Worst case, grounding one PV leg will open fuses, trip circuit breakers, and blow up transistors.  The operative word here: "typically".  There may be a strange topology out there that would be an exception .. but I'm not aware of any.

Dan