[RE-wrenches] Capacitive Discharge Test Results

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Fri Mar 28 15:01:02 PDT 2014

Hi Corey,

I’ve done a lot of ground fault troubleshooting over the years with
isolated and non-isolated inverters and I have often seen the type of
bleedoff that you describe below for the ungrounded conductors. But, it
really should start zeroing out to under five volts within about 10
seconds. I’m not being terribly accurate with my numbers here – it seems to
vary for each project. If it hangs at 50 V for a while you might indeed
have a “leakage” issue such as moisture conducting through an abraded
conductor or splice. That’s where the insulation tester comes in handy.

I have a Fluke 1503 insulation tester which has worked fine for my
purposes.

Chris Mason’s post about the low impedance meter is interesting. I have a
few meters including a Fluke 116 which apparently has a low impedance (loZ)
setting. If you have a meter with a low impedance setting maybe you could
try that?

Best,

August

Luminalt