[RE-wrenches] NEC 690.10(C) talking points

Kristopher Schmid solman at legacysolar.com
Wed Mar 19 18:19:07 PDT 2014

Dan,

690.10(C) says that you are "permitted" to supply single phase 3-wire
120/240 volt "service equipment" with 120 volts under the conditions
specified in that article.  If you are installing a 240 volt inverter (or
stacking 2 120s, or using a step up transformer), 690.10(C) does not apply.

Hope that helps.

Kris

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 7:40 PM, Dan Fink <danbob88 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Esteemed Wrenches;
> Can anyone here help me with some simple talking points for clients
> installing off grid systems? 240 Well pumps hard wired to panel breakers
> are common, but everybody (who has even a chance of surviving up here in
> middle of nowhere way off grid) NEEDS a 240v welder outlet in the
> garage/workshop. But 690.10(C) says no.
>
> Am I missing something obvious? What do I tell these potential clients?
>
> Dan Fink,
> Executive Director;
> Otherpower
> Buckville Energy Consulting
> Buckville Publications LLC
> NABCEP / IREC accredited Continuing Education Providers
> 970.672.4342

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
> Change email address & settings:

> List rules & etiquette: