[RE-wrenches] NEC 690.10(C) talking points

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Wed Mar 19 18:26:48 PDT 2014

Dan,

690.10(C) doesn't say no. It says that if you have a single 120V
inverter output connected directly for a 120/240 panel then you can't
put a 240V load in the panel-- in this case you'd either have L
connected to both phases of the panel or I guess you could just use half
the breakers in the panel. For a 240V load it would just see 0 volts
phase to phase, but for a multi-wire branch circuit with current on both
legs you'd potentially overload your neutral conductor.

Now when you use either a 240V inverter (or two stacked 120s) or an
autotransformer between the inverter and the panel, 240V loads are fine
since you have two lines 180 degrees out of phase and voila, 240V.
690.10(C) wouldn't apply to this situation since your inverter(s) would
be supplying 240V (not 120) to your 1P 3W panel.

DKC