[RE-wrenches] conductors and the 120% rule

William Korthof wkorthof at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 09:31:44 PST 2014

Even in a feeder with line-neutral loads, the neutral still only carries the imbalance between the phase loads: the case of maximum possible neutral current is the hypothetical situation of the phase with largest line-neutral load current, with all those loads on, and both other phases having all line-neutral loads off---in order to get neutral current, you have to reduce the phase current in two legs---
So normally in 4-wire star feeders, you only need to rate for 3 current carrying conductors.

If the neutral conductor connects to a solar inverter, the neutral load is either zero (3 phase inverter) or non-additive if you have a bank of 1 phase line/neutral (120 or 277 volt) inverters

/wk

William Korthof
714.875.3576
Sustainable Solutions