[RE-wrenches] Lithium ion

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu Feb 27 13:36:03 PST 2014

Here's a supplier of mine in the Electric Vehicle world where Li+ is
becoming the go to battery choice because of the higher energy density.
http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/batteries-ev/lithium-ion-ev.html
  I'm still talking customers out of Li+ for solar, because of the cost
and charging issues, but if I DID do an Li+ setup, I would use my
sources like this, along with Battery management from Manzanita Micro
http://www.manzanitamicro.com/products?page=shop.browse&category_id=22

While I don't have a bunch of Li+ experience yet, I have worked with
both of these companies for over a decade, and I would trust their gear.
Plus they actually have stuff in stock and are listing prices!
$450/ kwh is getting closer to lead acid (only double) , but doesn't
include the BMS.  Cycle life is still semi-theoritical too with early
cell failures.    One thing though, the EV guys push batteries hard,
with discharge rates in minutes not hours.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
Licensed Master Electrician