[RE-wrenches] 208 V 240 in residential applications

RE Ellison reellison at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 12:40:52 PST 2014

Anything with a motor wants to be intended for 208 three-phase

Any heating elements would want to be for three-phase also

If you try running 240 stuff on 208 it will ultimately take out the motors they just don't run as well!

In a past life I had a chain of convenience stores and one of them was fed by the utility with 120/208 instead of 240
We were changing compressors a little more often than we would've thought was necessary then about having to go back to the original utility paperwork prove to them that they had fed us 120/208 instead of 120/240 that the original work order called for and that was why we kept crashing all of the electric compressors!

It's doable easily just get equipment intended for 208 it has to be intended for three-phase

Or life is a real pain in the tail !

Been there done that !

Bob Ellison