[RE-wrenches] Battery venting issue

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed Feb 5 19:21:17 PST 2014

I can give you one example for them to consider:  UPS systems.  They all
use sealed VRLA batteries, and are not vented to the outside.
2nd thing for them to chew on:  The Midnite Battery boxes are ETL
listed, and you are installing them to the manufacturer's recommendations.
3rd, your use of article 480 is a well worded defense.  You should
convert that to a white paper on the subject!  What code section are
they using to justify this?

I agree, you can't allow this precedent to be established.  I think you
need some backing from SEIA for instance.  If they're going to try and
buck decades of established national practice, they really need to have
a darn good reason, and be ready for a challenge.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
Licensed Master Electrician