[RE-wrenches] garage door opener interference with enphase

Exeltech exeltech at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 18 17:39:51 PST 2014

Hello Chad,

Moving the antenna worked in your example below by separating it away from the interference source, and that is clearly the preferred option (as is oft suggested by FCC Part 15 statements).  However, it does leave a possible issue:  If there's that much interference emanating from the system, it may also be affecting openers or other devices at nearby homes.

I wasn't aware antenna "extension kits" existed for garage door openers.  This would be a MUCH simpler solution to the one I mentioned as long as the above "possible issue" doesn't exist.

To that, I would have one other concern: Does the extension kit increases the sensitivity of the garage door opener (and thus its range)?  If not, no worries.  If so, it might increase the possibility of unwanted activation by other remote controls.

This sounds far-fetched .. but it happened in our neighborhood several years ago, where a garage door opener appeared to be operating on its own, at least until some ham radio friends of the affected homeowner (working with some kind of special receiver) discovered another garage door opener for a home two streets away was the same brand of opener, and it somehow ended up operating with the same set of "open" codes.  When the extension antenna was installed, it increased the range of the receiver, and opened up that can of worms.  Thankfully, once the cause was discovered .. the fix was easy.  A "reset" and re-program of  was all that was needed.

Dan