[RE-wrenches] EGC ground impedance

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Jan 14 14:38:18 PST 2014

I believe the cable tray will still be an excellent conductor, as long
as the jumper connections are tight.  If you look at the cross sectional
area of it, its probably the equivalent of some fairly burly cable.
Also the jumpers are just part of the connection,  If you removed a
jumper, there is still quite a bit of contact surface.  (I'm not
recommending that though)  but you really have  parallel connections at
each joint.
The high ground impedance measurements are par for the course for my
measurements over the years.  A 5/8" ground rod in loose (land fill...)
soil is going to be about that.  It might be possible to compact around
the rods to improve that, and/ or add some mineral rich soil amendments
around the rods to improve the impedance as well.
(an old phone tech that worked for me used to cure ground problems all
the time by drinking lots of coffee, and then ahem, moisten the soil
with mineral rich fluid, ahem.)
While it is a bit unnerving to measure ground impedances that high, the
overall grounding system has low impedance.  Also, consider that the
ballast trays will offer some conductivity to ground as well.  Any way
to measure some of the ballasts' ground impedance?
If you did add continuous conductors, just make sure that they are
connected in a radiating star pattern; don't create inductive loops, or
you really will have some voltage differential across the grounding
system in a lightning strike.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,