[RE-wrenches] IBE Battery Flags

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Mon Jan 6 15:33:51 PST 2014

Hi William;

I haven't seen any standard really.  I noticed that HUPs switched from
5/16" hardware to 1/4".  I'm old school like you, and prefer 5/16"
hardware, however I think if you look at the lbs of compression that the
1/4" bolt can provide, it's still a fine connection.  The bolt shouldn't
be carrying much current; the mating surfaces of the lags and flag
terminals should.
In your case, I'd just drill out the holes to 5/16".  I have a small
receiver mounted vice that works well for those sort of "field
adjustments".

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,