[RE-wrenches] Deka AGMs

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Mon Jan 6 13:22:51 PST 2014

I finally found a cycle life chart on these: they're rated at 1200
cycles to 80% DOD, and about 2000 cycles @40% DOD.
In an "average" off grid system at 12 years old, I'd say they're near
the end of their life.  In a back up setup, who knows.
I've tested systems like this before, I basically turn on some heavy
constant resistance loads (like all the lights, plus a heater or 2) and
measure the volt drop over time.  You've got to hit it with discharge
rate of at least C10, otherwise you'll be there all night.  I also check
separate cell voltages to see if any are weak.
You'll know within a couple of hours whether there is anything left to
them or not.  I set the test up, watch it for 30 minutes, go get lunch,
and see what's happening when I get back.  I'm actually less concerned
with whether the bank meets its original specs, and more interested in
whether it will still provide the backup service the customer is expecting.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
Licensed Master Electrician