[RE-wrenches] Moving batteries

Kevin Pegg kpegg at energyalternatives.ca
Thu Mar 20 09:42:13 PDT 2014

We bought a 10 tonne crane truck, got all certified, insured and placards for carrying Class 8 corrosives and done deal!

Lots and lots of the Dekka batteries installed that way. Works well.

If you don't have the appropriate hardware for this, then consider hiring a local crane & operator to move. We have done that from time to time when it just wasn't logical to drive our big truck to some remote spot when a local person has the gear. And not once has a crane company had issue with the Class 8 corrosives. Though have had issues with crane lift capacity vs reach.

We also purchased a hydraulic auto body repair kit that consists of a hand pump, hydraulic cylinder and numerous attachments. It's great for fine manuvering of batteries into final position.

Also goes without saying, or maybe not, that one should have a substantial corrosives spill kit on hand when handling batteries like this.

Kevin