[RE-wrenches] Two systems on one building with separate services

Brian Teitelbaum bteitelbaum at aeesolar.com
Fri Mar 14 14:56:44 PDT 2014

Ah...OK

Looks like you have two options:

Locate the shop's inverter on the house, and run 240 VAC the 100 feet to the shop, where it will connect at the shop's service entrance.

Or, locate the inverter at the shop, and run the PV array DC the extra 100 foot distance.

Which is better? Electrically, I don't think that it really matters much.

With the inverter on the house, you are adding a 100' of AC wiring, so you need to make sure that any voltage drop does not cause the inverter to operate at too high an output voltage. If the utility service has already higher than normal AC voltage, that could cause the inverter to shut off due to high AC voltage. Running that distance as DC would not give you that potential issue. You still lose some power due to voltage drop of course (either AC or DC), but as long as that doesn't cause the inverter to operate below its MPPT DC voltage window, it won't effect it.

In either case, you will need an approved disconnect at each location, in other words, on each end of that 100' line. And good signage.

And I would recommend surge/lightning protection on both ends.

However, if you have the shop's inverter on the house, that also means that you have an AC connection from the shop's Service present at the house. This is where 230.2 may apply. You have two separate buildings with two separate Services. 230.2 applies to single, or physically connected, buildings with multiple Service entrances. It's about safety, so that fire fighters or other emergency personnel can be sure that if they pull a service meter, that they are cutting all the power to that structure. If you have an AC connection to that other Service, the AHJ may take issue with it under 230.2, even if you have a lockable disco,  good signage, and the house meter and shop disco are close together. You should consult with your AHJ.

Brian Teitelbaum
AEE Solar