[RE-wrenches] AC Combiner with main breaker as system disconnect

Glenn Burt glenn.burt at glbcc.com
Wed Mar 12 15:12:31 PDT 2014

Beware of breakers used as service disconnects. Most in the range suitable for a supply side connections for PV are really branch circuit rated with 10k AIC which is generally too low for the utility fault current they may be exposed to.
If you can get a statement from the utility with available fault current at the install site you might sneak one in. If you don't want to go to this trouble, use the rating of the exiting main breaker as a minimum value. Usually 20-25k AIC.