[RE-wrenches] conductors and the 120% rule

Jason Szumlanski jason at fafcosolar.com
Tue Mar 4 11:56:47 PST 2014

Both the bus and conductors need to be rated for 217 amps minimum. As you
mentioned, the bus is not a problem. The way I interpret it, the conductor
size required would be after derate factors are applied. The rating of the
conductor is ultimately dependent on the derate factors.

If you can locate your subpanel adjacent to the main distribution panel,
you may be able to use Exception #3 to 310.15(B)(2) by connecting the
panels with a short nipple. I assume you are just looking at a number of
conductor derate and not an ambient temperature derate.

Jason Szumlanski

Fafco Solar