[RE-wrenches] morning star ts-mppt-60-600

James Jefferson Jarvis jj at aprsworld.com
Wed Feb 12 13:49:38 PST 2014

The Morningstar TriStar MPPT 60 and the 600 volt 60 amp both have
ethernet built in. Yes, you use their MSVIEW software, but no you don't
need an RS-232 cable.

The MSView software allows you to easily load previously developed
settings and to easily save and print those settings.

After putting lots of Morningstar products at remote site, I found found
them not to crash, glitch, reset, or do anything besides work. I've
found the built-in communications (using industry standard Modbus) to be
excellent and easy to manage. I've not found any other charge controller
manufacturer that has unified software across their whole product line,
a unified communications standard, and the level of built-in monitoring
the Morningstar products have.

I'll take RS-232, RS-485, or Ethernet any day over proprietary stuff
that doesn't work.

I don't have any vested interest in Morningstar. I've just spent a lot
of time developing monitoring and control software to work with all
manners of different equipment. And when I get my choice, I go with the
Morningstar stuff because I know it works well.

-James Jarvis
APRS World, LLC
www.aprsworld.com